In the Box Office showdown of Marvel vs. MINIONS, both came out on top.
While Marvel’s ANT-MAN came in under the initial weekend estimates, it still managed to take the #1 spot domestically with Universal’s MINIONS right behind it. However, MINIONS was #1 internationally beating out ANT-MAN which came in at #2.
Universal’s TRAINWRECK which was anything but with a strong showing at #3 domestically, and #6 internationally.
Looking at the numbers – domestic in particular – Disney and Universal are in full control of the top 5 with Universal owning 3 spots (MINIONS, TRAINWRECK, JURASSIC WORLD and also TED 2 at #9) and Disney with 2 spots (ANT-MAN, INSIDE OUT).
Amid all the summer blockbusters, specialty entry MR. HOLMES (Roadside Attractions) had a solid weekend debuting in the #10 spot domestically.
Here’s the rundown:
Top 10 Movies at the Domestic Weekend Box Office:
1. ANT-MAN (Disney / Marvel)
2. MINIONS (Universal)
3. TRAINWRECK (Universal)
4. INSIDE OUT (Disney / Pixar)
5. JURASSIC WORLD (Universal)
6. TERMINATOR GENISYS (Paramount)
7. MAGIC MIKE XXL (Warner Bros.)
8. THE GALLOWS (Warner Bros.)
9. TED 2 (Universal)
10. MR. HOLMES (Roadside Attractions)
Top 10 Movies at the International Weekend Box Office:
1. MINIONS (Universal)
2. ANT-MAN (Disney / Marvel)
3. MONSTER HUNT
4. JIANG BIN MAN
5. INSIDE OUT (Disney / Pixar)
6. TRAINWRECK (Universal)
7. TERMINATOR GENISYS (Paramount)
8. JURASSIC WORLD (Universal)
9. MONKEY KING: HERO IS BACK
10. MAGIC MIKE XXL (Warner Bros.)